Design dynamic watchfaces for Pebble on your Android phone
Loading the Canvas watch-app to my Pebble fails
- This has happened to a few people. Sometimes, the progress bar within the Pebble uploading screen suddenly jumps to the end (or gets stuck halfway), and the upload of the watchface silently fails. Sometimes retrying works.
- Try uninstalling all watch-apps from your Pebble, using the main Pebble app (including Canvas), then attempting to install the Canvas watch-app (Canvas / Menu / Install Watchface). Some people have reported that this works, and they are then able to re-install their previous watch-apps successfully. If this doesn't work, factory reset your Pebble (this will remove all app and settings, but keep your current firmware version - you will have to re-pair with your phone).
Can I display the current watch battery level?
- Yes! As of firmware 2.0, this can be displayed. It is located under Time/Date/Watch Status (it's the very bottom set of items in that category).
Can you add more fonts/sizes?
- In short, no. Every font/size combination must be compiled into the Canvas watch-app which is installed to your Pebble (that is - each font is added at a fixed size, and can't be scaled on the watch). There is a size limit, so I have to be careful about which fonts/sizes I add. Fonts are very large and take up a lot of space. There is also an issue installing Pebble apps with large resources at the moment (see above), so I won't be adding any more fonts until this is resolved. The same applies to bold/italics/etc - they can't be changed.
Why does my screen load on my watch without any images?
- All non-image layers are loaded first, after which images are transferred from the phone (because large images can take a few seconds to transfer). Also, see the answer below about switching to Canvas from another app/face.
Can I switch between Canvas screens straight from my watch?
- In Canvas v2.0, then yes! You need to have installed the watch-app version of Canvas (rather than the watch-face version - you are prompted to make this choice), then the up/down buttons perform this function.
When I switch to the Canvas app/face, it has to load for a few seconds before my screen is displayed
- In v2.0, your current screen is saved on the watch. This usually works, but the saving/loading process can sometimes fail, in which case it will need to load the screen from your phone.
When I switch to the Canvas app/face, it remembers my previous screen, but the images are gone
- The storage available on the watch to save the current screen is not big enough to save images, so these must still be loaded from the phone each time the Canvas watch-face/app starts, even if the rest of your screen was saved/loaded successfully.
Timeout sending to Pebble
- This means that canvas sent a message to your Pebble but did not receive a timely response from the Canvas watch-app. It could be because the Canvas watch-app is not installed on your Pebble (use the menu item 'Install Watchface' to install it). - Check that you have firmware v2.0 or above installed on your Pebble. The Canvas v2.0 watch-app will not run without this - If the Canvas watch-app is installed but you still see this message, try manually resending your screen to your Pebble using the 'Send' button (the paper aeroplane). This will switch to the Canvas app on your Pebble, if it was not previously running. - If you are still having problems, please report the issue by sending diagnostics from the 'About' dialogue.
Where does the weather come from? How often does it update?
- The weather is sourced from Open Weather Map or Yahoo! You can choose using the weather icon. The update interval is configurable in the weather settings dialog. You can select whether to use your current location, or a fixed place name or set of coordinates.
My Gmail items say "Select Gmail Labels"
- Press the Gmail icon in the editor, and select which labels you wish to use. This only needs to be done once
My screen doesn't display quite the same on my Pebble as it look on my phone
- Canvas tries hard to preview what a screen will look like on your Pebble, but can't always get it spot on. You may have to resize layers slightly to get text to fit, and text may wrap slightly differently.
How do I use Tasker with Canvas?
- I suggest that you look elsewhere for an in-depth guide to using Tasker (I am no expert!), but for the absolute basics on how to push information to Canvas, please see the user guide.
Can I use Canvas to control Tasker (or run other commands) now that a watch-app version is available?
- This is something that may be added in a future version
Why are fields limited to 40 characters in length?
- With the introduction of dynamic memory allocation in firmware 2.0, this may change, but the 40 character limit is still in place for the time being.
How can I backup the screens that I have designed?
- Use the 'Share' function on the edit screen. This will produce a .pcs file contaning your screen, which can be emailed/sent to dropbox/etc. This file can be reloaded into Canvas at a later date, or by another user.
- Some users have reported errors when trying to load shared screens (.pcs files) back into Canvas. This is usually because some extra junk (e.g. HTML headers) got added to the file when it was being downloaded from a website. I like to use dropbox to load .pcs files back into Canvas.
Can you display the time/date in another language, or using different capitalisation?
- Canvas uses Pebble's built-in date formatting functions, which currently only support English
Can I rotate a layer?
- This is not possible at the moment
Why do some fonts only display numbers?
- A number of the fonts which come built-into Pebble only display numbers. This is to keep the size down, particularly with large font sizes.
Why do I see a box with an 'x' in it on my watch, instead of what I expected?
- This means that the character that is being displayed is not available for the selected font (some fonts are only capable of displaying numbers, to save space). Be aware that some time format masks are space-padded, and some of the subset fonts do not contain spaces, leading to this issue!
I have an idea. Can you add this feature?
- Please email me or comment here - I would be glad to receive your suggestions! It may take a while to implement them all, though...
Will you be making an iPhone version of Canvas?
- This is highly unlikely, sorry!
Can you add a new time/date format?
- Canvas simply allows to you use all of the time/date formats which are provided by the Pebble firmware. New formats cannot be easily added.
The Calendar option isn't displaying any events
- Ensure that you have selected your desired calendars using the calendar settings window. - Check the "number of days" filter - if it is too small it may not catch any events